The city of Raleigh has warned twenty-six thousand residents of flood risks at their properties ahead of Hurricane Florence's arrival, WRAL reports
, and in Durham, more than one hundred properties have been identified as being at risk of flooding.
Raleigh officials described their advisory in a news conference Wednesday. The city is using reverse-911 technology to encourage thousands of residents living in areas that repeatedly flood to seek higher ground.
Those areas include:
- Anderson & Oxford
- Atlantic & Hodges
- Bailey Drive, 500 block
- Calumet Drive, 3200 block
- Claremont Road, 2900 block
- Garner Road, 1800 block
- Glenwood & Creedmoor
- Gorman & Avent Ferry
- Hawes Court, 700 block
- Lake Wheeler & I-40
- Lake Woodard & Timberlake
- Lumley & Brier Creek
- Rose Lane & Maplewood
- S. Saunders Street, 2300 block
- Southgate & Proctor
- Sunnybrook & Middle Branch
- Wade Avenue & I-40
- Wake Forest & Hodges
- Wake Forest & McNeil
- Wake Town Drive, 1000 block
- Wilmington & City Farm
Raleigh residents can use this map
to determine if their home is in a floodplain.
In Durham, emergency officials began contacting people living in flood-prone areas Wednesday evening. According to the city (which is working jointly with the county on emergency operations), 147 property owners received this message: "Your business or residence has been identified as one that has previously flooded, or may be at risk for flooding due to precipitation from Hurricane Florence. Please make evacuation plans for yourself and pets just in case the flood waters rise rapidly. If you need preparedness information, call 919 560-4357 or visit www.alertdurham.com."
Those homeowners had either signed up for emergency notifications from Alert Durham or were found in the phonebook.
"These are the properties that have been identified as being in the storm track that are likely to receive the highest amounts of rain at this time," city spokesperson Beverly Thompson told the INDY
Wednesday evening. "Should the track change significantly, we’ll determine if another alert should be sent to those who might be affected."
Durham residents can check if their home is at risk of flooding through Alert Durham
, where they can also sign up for alerts. (There's also a statewide floodplain map
that can be searched by address.)
In a 5:00 p.m. briefing, Governor Cooper said as many as one million North Carolina residents had been asked to evacuate counties along the coast. Eight counties were under mandatory evacuations as Florence was expected to stall
along the coast before passing over the NC-SC border.