The days of eight-limes-for-a-dollar are finished. If you thought the 1976 Energy Crisis was bad, then you haven't endured the Great Lime Shortage of 2014: People are lined up for blocks hoping to buy just one; Corona fans feel confused about how to drink their favorite beer; angry mobs are banging on store windows, where signs hang, saying "no limes."
OK, that might be a bit of a stretch, but the price of the fruit, so integral to mixed drinks, has skyrocketed 500 percent this spring. More than 95 percent of limes we buy in the U.S. come from Mexico. And because of severe weather, disease and drug cartels squeezing the lime pipeline, the fruit is in short supply. Here are some of the Triangle's best cocktails that include limes.
1. Elderflower Sour (The Crunkleton, Chapel Hill)
2. Mojitos (Dos Taquitos, Raleigh)
3. Moscow Mule (Foundation, Raleigh)
4. Gimlet (Alley Twenty Six Durham)
5. Margarita (Dos Perros, Durham)
6. Rickety Ginny (Buku, Raleigh)