Name as it appears on the ballot: Tony White
Campaign website: www.tonywhiteforsheriff.com
Phone number: 919-880-8680
Years lived in Orange County: 46
1. In your view, what are the three most pressing issues facing the Orange County Sheriff’s Office? If elected, what will you do to address these issues?
Issue one: The turnover rate at the Orange County Sheriff’s Office is increasing. Orange County deputies are seeking employment with surrounding agencies. This reduces coverage and service to the citizens of Orange County who we are to protect and serve. Issue two: Ensuring
2. What in your record as a public official or other experience demonstrates your ability to be an effective county sheriff? This might include career or community service; be specific about its relevance to this office.
I’ve been a volunteer
Not spending taxpayers’ money properly. Over the past three
4. Several local governments across the country have ended or altered their cash-bail systems, arguing that people who have not been convicted of a crime should not be held because they cannot afford bail. What changes to the cash bail system, if any, do you support? Why? If you don't support any changes, please explain why you think the current system is successful.
The only time I will support the cash bail system, is for repeat offenders. Meaning if someone is arrested, then released, and re-offends before trial on the first offense then I support
5. One intended purpose of the cash bail system is to ensure potentially dangerous people aren't free to commit new crimes while awaiting trial. Do you think the county would be less safe with non-monetary pretrial-release conditions only?
No. As long as provision
6. Multiple courts have ruled that ICE detainer requests do not meet Fourth Amendment requirements for arrest. Currently, Orange County does not honor detainer requests “unless continued custody is supported by probable cause to believe that a criminal violation of federal immigration law has occurred”—for example, by a judicial or outstanding warrant. Do you support this policy? Under what circumstances should the Sheriff's Office honor detainer requests? Please explain your answer.
The only time I would honor an ICE detainer is when an arrestee is arrested
7. Under North Carolina law,
With exceptions, I think body camera footage should be public record. First, it should be viewed by the Chief/Sheriff, District Attorney, and Superior Court Judge, to verify no one seen in the video or heard in the video would be placed in jeopardy. On the other hand, North Carolina has a law in place stating regardless
8. Similarly, police officers’ and sheriff’s deputies’ personnel files, including disciplinary records, are not public documents in North Carolina. Given that law enforcement in some cases literally has the power of life and death, do you believe it is appropriate for members of the public to know whether a law enforcement agent has been disciplined and why?
Yes, I believe disciplinary actions should be public record. It ensures law enforcement misconduct is not overlooked. If a law enforcement officer has numerous complaints that are factual, a member of the public wants to be sure that disciplinary action has taken place. Unfortunately, North Carolina has a General Statue making law enforcement disciplinary records confidential.
9. Do you support the expanded use of citations as an alternative to arrests? Under what circumstances?
Yes, I support the use of citations as an alternative to arrest. Simple charges like Simple Possession of marijuana, Misdemeanor Larceny, and so on should be issued a citation. By issuing citations, it would reduce officer downtime. Transporting someone to the magistrates’ office and sitting there until all
10. What policies would you support to reduce recidivism, particularly among youthful offenders?
Policies I would support to reduce recidivism among youth offenders would be installing a deterrence program. Maybe walking youth offenders through the county jail or local prison, and let the youth see how it is to be placed in that type of atmosphere. Talk with the youth about consequences and their future.
11. Identify and explain one principled stand you would be willing to take if elected that you suspect might cost you some points with voters. Not supporting ICE. Not honoring an administrative warrant or detainer issued by ICE.