A few weeks back, we came across this story in the Durham Herald-Sun about about Capitol Broadcasting taking the first steps in its expansion of the American Tobacco Campus. Last year, you'll recall, it acquired the neighboring University Ford property for $28.8 million. Now it's trying to figure out just what to do with those eleven acres.
A few ideas are being tossed around: offices and condos (of course), an entertainment complex to complement DPAC and maybe a skyscraper to rival One City Center. Since everything is in early stages, we figured we'd toss a few ideas into the mix—a modest proposal, if you will, that represents the downtown Durham development we've all come to know and love in recent years. We think it's something our friends at Capitol might want to take a look at.
Call it ATC at the Place™.
1. The sound of progress! You'll never tire of hearing our never-ending construction!
2. Prime working digs with great downtown views! For a low introductory price, get yourself one of these convenient portable smoffices, starting at just $2,500 a month.
3. Need somewhere to park your ride? We've got three floors of wide parking spaces for your Ford Expedition.
4. Affordable housing! These spacious 800 square-foot beauties can be yours, starting in the low $600s!
5. Historic preservation! Check out these facades of old Durham outside the city's hottest new restaurant, Tôst, featuring locally sourced avocados!
6. A nod to our past! Pick your own tobacco at the American Tobacco Campus's very own Tobacco Patch . (Restrictions and feesapply. Must be 18 with valid identification.)
This article appeared in print with the headline "A Modest Proposal"