- 1 lb. chicken breast sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 tbs. ﬁ sh sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 c. (8 oz.) hoisin sauce (if sauce is thick, add about 1/4 c. warm water to thin out)
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbs. rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (or more) minced thai chili
- 10 rice paper wrappers
- romaine lettuce leaves washed and dried
- 1 cucumber cut into long slices
- 1 avocado cut into small chunks
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 2 cups rice noodles boiled and rinsed
- fresh herbs: mint, cilantro basil or coriander
- bean sprouts
1. In plastic bag, combine all ingredients for the grilled chicken. Let marinade for about 20 minutes. Grill both sides of chicken for about 2-3 minutes, or until desired texture.
2. In blender, combine all ingredients for the hoisin peanut dipping sauce. Blend until everything combines smoothly together. If it is too thick, continue adding warm water until desired consistency.
3. In bowl of warm water, dip each rice paper wrapper for about 3-5 seconds (depending on rice paper thickness). Do not over soak your rice paper wrapper! Place on work service and allow rice paper to soak up water and become gelatinous and pliable (about 30 seconds to 1 minute, again, depending on the thickness rice paper).
4. On top 1/3 side closest to you, lay lettuce on the bottom for added strength to the wrapper. Then place meat, herbs and other vegetables. Roll up spring roll about 1/3 way through, then fold in the sides.
5. Serve with hoisin peanut dip.
Appeared in print on 2.25.09.