- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 29-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- Parsley (optional)
In a large pot over medium high heat, combine the oil and steak and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until steak is browned. Add the onions, garlic and chili pepper and sauté for another 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
Add the chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, tomatoes, tomato sauce and beans. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about one hour. Remove cover and simmer for another 30 minutes, or until you've reached your desired thickness.
Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Appeared in print 11/3/10