Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose ﬂour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
Apple Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 5 tart apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ﬂour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
Mix the Pie Crust Ingredients:
- Mix the ﬂour, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Warm the butter in the microwave until it is soft, but not melted. Cut the warmed butter and the shortening into the ﬂour mixture using a pastry blender. Stirring with a fork, sprinkle the ﬂ our mixture with enough ice water to hold the dough together. Gather it into a ball.
- Wrap the pie crust dough in plastic wrap. Place it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or more, while you make the pie ﬁlling.
- Fill a bowl with water and add the lemon juice. Peel and slice the apples, placing them into the water/lemon juice mixture as you cut them. This will prevent the apples you cut ﬁrst from turning brown.
- Mix the sugar, ﬂour, cinnamon, salt and cider vinegar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Drain the water off of the apples and add them to the sugar mixture.
- Now that your pie crust has had plenty of time to cool, divide it into two, equal halves.
- Roll out one of the balls of pie crust until it is about an 1/8th of an inch thick.
- Wrap it loosely around the rolling pin and unroll it onto your pie pan. Shape it to ﬁt the inside of the pan. Poke holes in the bottom of the crust with a fork. This will let the steam out as the pie bakes.
- Put in the apple mixture. Cut the butter into 4 pieces and put on top of the apples. This will give the ﬁ lling rich ﬂavor.
- Roll out the remaining pie dough and place it on top.
- Trim off any extra dough and pinch the edge together with your ﬁngers. Slice some air vents in the top of the crust.
*Tip: Place a cookie sheet covered in aluminum foil on the lowest oven rack (not on the same rack as the pie) to prevent any overﬂ ow from reaching the bottom of the oveneasy cleanup!
Appeared in print on 7.1.09.